Top 6 reasons to get new strings:
6. They have become rusty and lose elasticity. They end up feeling less smooth.
5. Kinks or flat spots in strings can also cause the string to play differently, they may even start to buzz.
4. They become weighted down with sludge over time making them sound out of tune.
3. You get the whole guitar inspected and cleaned while the strings are getting changed. (Only at NWG)
2. Your guitar’s tone slowly becomes dull. Starts to sound muddy, even more prevalent with distortion.
1. Your guitar strings are discolored and are gross to touch. Plain strings should be silver are now black from dirt, grease and rust. It's gross!
Is okay to keep the guitar in a slightly damp atmosphere?
If the guitar is kept out of it's case in a damp room the strings will soon get spots of rust, they are likely to need to be changed sooner rather than later. Buy a dehumidifier if necessary.
How do I know I know they are dirty?
If they feel rough when you run your finger up the length of the string then they could be on their way out.
What is the cost of strings and labor?
Strings are normally between $6-$15 depending on quality and features. Our labor is between $20-$30 depending on if you are a student of NWG and the type of guitar being restrung (students get discounts on everything).
Can I do it myself?
Yes! However it is not as easy as it looks. If done incorrectly the strings will slip out of tune or take a long time to settle into position. Depending on our techs schedule, most of the time you buy a re-string he will show you how to do it as long as you ask.
Author Sean Fallon
Manager, digital media, social media, photographer, webdesign, videographer, video editor, sales, uke teacher.
Nylon of Steel
8 Ways to Sound Better
6 Reasons New Strings
Truss Rod Actually Does
Guitar Care Is Like
Why Vox AC30
Stepping Outside the Box
Don't Go Cheap
Guitar Effects Chain
Guitar Effects Chain 2
Sweet Riffs Hot Licks
My Journey and...
At Northwest Guitars we are deeply embedded in our community. From donations to local schools to promoting local musicians we work hard to make Bellevue and the surrounding areas a better place to live, work and play.